Tuesday 30 October 2012

GOOD DEEDS FOR OUR NON-HUMAN COUNTERPATHS
DOING A GOOD DEED FOR OUR ANIMALS 
 
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. Mahatma Gandhi.
 
This particular incident had occurred at around last year March. But as I have started writing on this blog about Good Deeds, I thought to myself: “Hey Arlene, what about animals. What about one of the blogs addressing doing good deeds to animals. They may not have a voice, well at least not a human voice, but they are still part of God’s creation.”
 
That day, on my way to work, driving along the Eastern Main Road (west-bound) I saw a female dog and her young one (possibly a couple months old) trying to go across the street. (You know, how some of these dogs behave, as if they own the road.) I was lucky to have seen them, so I had ample time to slow down to let them cross.
 
Unfortunately the driver of the car that was coming in the opposite direction (east-bound) did not get a chance to see them and hit the bigger dog, killing her on the spot. The little pup seemed confused and very disoriented letting out a soft wail. I remembered he looked so helpless and alone.
 
My first instinct was to "let sleeping dogs lie" (no pun intended) and leave the little pup right where it was, thinking someone else will take care of it. However, my inner voice spoke to me and I had to respond. I could not bear the thought of the future of this pup, which seemed so bleak.
 
So I came out of the car and I took the little pup - he was so small and cute. I already had a dog of my own but I knew of a neighbor who always expressed interest in getting a dog, so I knew where the pup’s new home was going to be. In fact up to yesterday I saw the children playing with the puppy that is now very loved and well fed.
  
I always like to insert a video in my blog, however this week , how can I say, it was a tad difficult to get a video that adequately supports my topic. So I just decided to use a fun video that includes the word “dog”.
 
I selected "WHO LET THE DOGS OUT ?" which is a song written and originally recorded by our very own Anslem Douglas (titled "Doggie") for  our Carnival season of 1998. This version was done by the Baha Men.
 
Even though this song may have been about a different type of dog, (hey ladies...) there still lies the question: Who let the dogs out?
 
Who has let the dogs out - of a loving protective home?
Who has let the dogs out - onto the streets?
 
The answer to those questions is: We...we human beings. We are the ones in some way responsible for all these dogs and animals being abused and abandoned.
 
I know here in Trinidad and Tobago, the relevant governmental authorities can, at times, be very relaxed with the dealing of stray animals. ( It has also  been stated that with the introduction of the Dangerous Dog Act, there appears to be an increased in the dumping of dogs onto the streets.)

However, apart from the Regional Corporations in the Ministry of Local Government, there are a number of  non-governmental organizations that can be contacted, which are dedicated  with improving the lives of  animals in this country, as follows:
 
Trinidad & Tobago Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (TTSPCA)
 
The Animal Welfare Network (Trinidad and Tobago)
 
Animal Alive
 
In any small way, let us see how we can assist.
 
My neighbor has two dogs. One of them says to the other: "Woof!"
The other replies: "Moo!"
The first dog is perplexed. "Moo? Why did you say 'Moo'?"
The second dog says: "I'm trying to learn a foreign language."
Morey Amsterdam
  
Let us be try to kind and loving to to our dogs...to all our animals.
Let us try to do a good deed for them, at all times....

No comments:

Post a Comment