Sunday 7 October 2012

DO A GOOD DEED FOR YOUR FAMILY TODAY.


DO A GOOD DEED TO THOSE WE TAKE FOR GRANTED- THOSE CLOSEST TO US (OUR FAMILY)

Friday morning, while I was getting ready for work, my nine year old daughter ran excitedly into my room, hiding a paper in her hand.  
As she tried to hug me, I just pushed her away snapping:- “GO AND GET READY FOR SCHOOL BECAUSE WE ARE ALWAYS LATE!!!  She left the room very disappointed and almost on the verge of tears. Later she came into the car very quiet and reserved.  However, as I was so late for work, I paid her no attention.
I then dropped them (she and her younger sister) off at their school and continued on my journey to the office. As I was now alone, I decided to listen to the radio. I heard the end of one of Stevie Wonder’s songs- THESE THREE WORDS -
These three words
Sweet and simple
These three words
Short and kind
These three words
Always kindles.”
 

 I began to cry because I realized that many times I did take my family for granted, especially my beautiful girls.  I became even more emotional when I noticed the paper that my daughter had left in the car. The words on the paper were I love you Mummy, you are the best mother in the whole wide world. xxx Love Alyssa xxx.”

I parked the car on the side of the road and I allowed all my emotions to just flow. I reflected on how I had treated my daughter. She wanted to do something nice to me (a good deed, in fact) but as I was so preoccupied with my preparation for work, I had missed that beautiful opportunity to enjoy a very precious moment with my daughter. I had taken her for granted and in fact my entire family because I made the assumption that they will always be there.  
I thought to myself:- “If I am not at work, I am at COSTAATT, or involved in several community and church activities. When was the last time I did something good (deed) for my family, especially my daughters.” This song had really ministered to me and I knew I had to spend some quality time with them.
When I returned  at the school in the afternoon, I hugged my daughter and apologized to her and on Saturday morning I took my two girls to see the movie – Hotel Transylvania 3D at Trincity Mall .
We then strolled through the Mall, played video games and had a meal at KFC (one of their favourite places). Later in the evening (Saturday) we all went to church.  They were just so happy to be around me.
It is very important to remember to always do at least one good deed (no matter how simple) to the persons closest to us – the individuals in our family. Somehow we always have a tendency to forget to acknowledge their presence. We assume they will always be there - not realizing that in just one moment they could could be gone forever.

  

 
                                           DO A GOOD DEED FOR YOUR FAMILY TODAY.

2 comments: